Similar to Miso paste but made with British grown fava beans (rather than soya beans) and packed with a deep rich umami flavour with subtle notes of sherry. From Hodmedods and awarded 2 stars in both 2018 and 2019 Great Taste Awards.
Here is a recipe for umami dressing for a summer bean salad:
- 75ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1-2 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- ½ tbsp Maple Syrup
- ½ tbsp Fava Umami Paste
- A good grind of Black Pepper
- Warm the olive oil and garlic in a small saucepan until you begin to smell the garlic (the idea is to infuse the oil rather than fry the garlic).
- Remove the garlic, chop finely and spoon into a jar with a tightly fitting lid. Add the oil along with the remaining dressing ingredients, shake to bring everything together. Taste, you may like to tinker around with the balance, add a little salt if you like but the Umami paste brings so much salty, savoury depth that I doubt you will need it.